MEDİT / ACI PhD Application Period: August 7-27, 2023
(The online application system at apply.umran.ihu.edu.tr closes at 17:00 Istanbul time)
Application Process and Requirements for International Students:
(İngilizce sayfadaki şartlar uluslararası öğrenciler içindir. Türk öğrenciler Türkçe Doktora başvuru bilgi sayfasına müracaat etmelidir.)
Doctoral Program in Civilization Studies, minimum application requirements:
- Passport Credentials Page
- Residency Permit / İkamet (if available)
- CV / Résumé
- Documentation of English Proficiency (see language requirements for details)
- Scores from GRE and/or ALES or similar tests for graduate study are strongly encouraged but not required for application.
- Copies of all undergraduate and graduate diplomas and transcripts
* Documents are accepted only in Turkish, Arabic, German, English and French; other languages must be translated either into English or Turkish. (Document originals and official translations into Turkish must be presented at enrollment.)
- Two academic letters of recommendation (the recommenders you add on the application system will receive requests to upload letters of recommendation on your behalf.)
- A Statement of Purpose (single-spaced, two pages max, English)
- A writing sample* (PhD applicants MUST provide an English writing sample, such as a part of their master’s/honors thesis, an article or a paper. 20 pgs max.)
* Please make sure to include your name and page number on each page of the writing sample and statement of purpose.
“Interview and exam dates will be announced later.”
Admission English Language Requirements:
– Native English speakers and applicants with a bachelor’s degree (min. 3-year program) from an accredited and recognized institution of tertiary education in an English-speaking country (US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) are not required to take any English proficiency examination.
- Successful applicants, who for country-specific reasons are not able to take an accepted English proficiency examination, MUST present their scores from one before official enrollment in the fall semester. Failure to do so will result in admission offer cancellation.
PRE-PROGRAM LANGUAGE PREPARATION:
Students at ACI are obliged to attain proficiency in Turkish and Arabic by the time of their graduation. Proficiency in English is a prerequisite for admission as described in our application requirements. The best candidates for admission apply with a good command of these three main languages. Students without a good command of Turkish and/or Arabic will have to complete the scientific preparation year program before the start of their degree courses. International students will have to prove a minimum of A-2 level proficiency in Arabic and C-1 level in Turkish in order to be able to graduate. Turkish citizens may receive preparatory Arabic instruction and register for a single graduate course in this preparatory year. We do not offer an English preparatory year program. The students, who fail in the scientific preparation year program will have their enrollment annulled.
All prep-year language classes are offered at the School of Languages at IHU’s Main Campus in Başakşehir.
Please refer to the IHU School of Languages website for the Turkish and Arabic preparatory language course fees
- The duration of the Doctoral Program in Civilization Studies is four years. Students, who are not proficient in Turkish (minimum C-1 Level), must complete an additional one-year Turkish preparatory coursework to pass the required Turkish proficiency examination.
Scholarships and Tuition Fee
The program tuition fee for a full-time student in the four-year Civ Studies PhD Program is 13,000 USD for the 2023-2024 academic year.
All students are accepted with different variations of scholarships towards the tuition fee.
Successful applicants will be offered positions as Research Assistants and/or Teaching Assistants on top of exemption from tuition fees. Students meeting the highest standards of academic excellence and language competence will be awarded with a monthly scholarship of up to 10.000 TL. You may refer to the IHU Directive for Graduate Scholarships for detailed information.
PhD scholarships cover the Turkish and Arabic language preparatory period (maximum one academic year) and the duration of the four-year-long doctorate program.
Scholarships are for nine months per year; they do not cover the summer period.
Married students and/or PhD candidates, who passed their comprehensive exams, will be eligible for summer stipends. In toto, they will receive stipends for 12 months each year.
Scholarships and assistantships awarded are subject to renewal annually.
In case of academic failure, scholarships are subject to review and cancellation by the academic evaluation committee.
Deadline for international applicants: 27 August 2023
E-Mail: aciapplication @ ihu.edu.tr
*If you encounter any problems during the application process, do not hesitate to e-mail us at aciapplication @ ihu.edu.tr.