On July 27 (11:00 am -1:00 pm), at Salis Madrasa, Süleymaniye Campus, our department will hold this seminar in collaboration with the English and Ilahiyat faculties of Istanbul University and the Umran Academic Research Association. This seminar invites faculty and research students of Islamic studies, history, and social science to participate in a lecture and discussion with Bruce B. Lawrence on the topic of his 2021 manifesto, Islamicate Cosmopolitan Spirit. Master’s and undergraduate students may also participate as observers. The seminar aims to extend the study of Islamic history and literature within the broader context of world history through the establishment of engaging dialogues and hopes likewise to establish a robust academic network in the field.
The seminar will encompass the following points:
· A thorough introduction to the concept of Islamicate Cosmopolitan Spirit across time and space
· An exploration of premodern Afro-Eurasian and Persianate culture in the Indian Ocean
· Introduction to the concept of barzakh logic as a new methodology for the study of Islamic history in the broader context of world history.
· The notion of adab within the Islamicate Cosmopolitan Spirit
· Cosmopolitan dialogue in the time of civilizational crisis and the future of the Islamicate Cosmopolitan Spirit
To register here to join the seminar- https://umran.org.in/