Ph.D. Application (International Applicants)
Application Period: 08.04.2019 – 17.06.2019
Application Deadline: 17.06.2019
Interview and exam dates will be announced later.
Required Application Documents
- Passport Credentials Page
- Residency Permit-İkamet (if available)
- Documentation of English Proficiency (see Language requirements for details)
- Scores of GRE, GMAT, ALES or similar tests for graduate study are encouraged but not required for application.
- Copy of undergraduate and graduate diplomas and transcripts
- Admitted students, still enrolled at an undergraduate or graduate institution by the application deadline, must complete their undergraduate or graduate degree by the time of enrollment. They must submit their most recent original diploma for enrollment; otherwise, they will lose all earned rights.
- Documents are accepted only in Turkish, Arabic, German, English and French; other languages must be translated either into English or Turkish. (Document originals and official translations into Turkish must be presented at enrollment.)
- Contacts of two references (letters will be asked for shortlisted applicants only)
- A statement of purpose (two to three pages, in English)
- Writing sample (in English; if available, applicants may provide a part of their finishing/honors thesis as writing sample)
- Please make sure to include your name and page number on each page of the writing sample and statement of purpose.
If you face problems during the online application process, please contact the Institute by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The duration of the Doctoral program in Civilization Studies is four years. Students, who are not proficient in Turkish (minimum B-2 Level), must complete an additional one-year Turkish preparatory coursework to pass the required Turkish proficiency examination.
Scholarships and Tuition Fee
- Tuition for a full-time Doctoral student in 2019-20 will be 000 Turkish Liras.
- All students are accepted with different variations of scholarship towards the tuition fee. In addition, stipends in return for assistantships are offered for 9 months per year.
- Successful applicants will be given positions as Research Assistants and/or Teaching Assistants on top of exemption from tuition fees. Students meeting the highest standards of academic excellence and language competence will be awarded with a monthly scholarship of 2500 TL.
- PhD scholarships cover the Turkish and Arabic language preparatory period (maximum one academic year) and the duration of the four-year-long doctorate program.
- Scholarships are for nine months per year; they do not cover the summer period.
- Married students and PhD candidates (PhD students, who have successfully completed their comprehensive exams) will be eligible for summer stipends. In toto, married students and PhD candidates will receive stipends for 12 months each year.
- Scholarships and assistantships awarded are subject to renewal annually.
- In case of academic failure, scholarships are subject to review and cancelation by the academic evaluation committee.
Admission English Language Requirement
- Proficiency in English is a prerequisite for acceptance at the Alliance of Civilizations Institute. Priority will be given to those students, who present higher TOEFL or equivalent scores. A minimum score of 78in TOEFL-iBT or an equivalent score in CAE, CPE, PTE Academic or YDS is highly advised for application.
- Native English speakers and applicants, who graduated from an institution of tertiary education in an English-speaking country, are not required to take any English proficiency examination.
- Successful applicants, who for country-specific reasons are not able to take an accepted English proficiency examination, MUST present their scores from one by the END OF THE FIRST SEMESTER.
- Students at ACI are obliged to attain proficiency in Turkish and Arabic by the time of their graduation. Proficiency in English is a prerequisite of admission as described in our application requirements. The best candidates for admission apply with a good command of these three main languages. Students without a good command of Turkish and/or Arabic will have to complete the scientific preparation year program before the start of their degree courses. International students will have to prove a minimum of A-2 level proficiency in Arabic and C-1 level in Turkish in order to be able to graduate. Turkish citizens may receive preparatory Arabic instruction and register for a single graduate course in this preparatory year. We do not offer an English preparatory year program. The students, who fail in the scientific preparation year program will have their enrollment annulled.
Phone: +90 212 692 02 12, Extension : 2019 (Ahmet Tarık Çaşkurlu)
Medeniyetler İttifakı Enstitüsü (MEDİT)
Süleymaniye Mahallesi, Mimar Sinan Caddesi, No 38
*If you encounter any problems during the application process do not hesitate to e-mail us.